If you are of a certain age, you'll vividly remember the hype surrounding "Home Alone" on it's original release in 1990 (16th of November in the USA, 14th of December in Ireland). The film was MASSIVE at the time, and has become a family Christmas favourite. It's spawned a bunch of sequels, but none of them capture the magic of the first film. "Home Alone" is now streaming on Netflix UK and Ireland so now is a great time to revisit it!
While you are watching, here's five little pieces of trivia for you:
1) Joe Pesci deliberately avoided Macaulay Culkin on set because he wanted Culkin to think he was mean.
2) The picture Kevin finds of Buzz's girlfriend was a picture of a boy made up to look like a girl because director Chris Columbus thought it would be too cruel to make fun of a girl.
3) Daniel Stern agreed to have the tarantula put on his face for exactly one take. He had to mime screaming because the noise would have scared the spider, so the scream was dubbed in later.
4) The poster and home video cover of Kevin with his hands on his face and screaming is based on the famous painting "The Scream" by Edvard Munch.
5) One for the real film nerds. Joe Pesci's character, Harry Lime, is named after Orson Welles's character from the film "The Third Man" (1949).
What are your Christmas favourites? Comment below to let me know!!
*Disclaimer: I'm a member of the Netflix Stream Team and for this I received a complimentary subscription for one year & an Apple TV (Box). All opinions are my own, and I will be posting once a month in relation to Netflix Stream Team. Stay tuned........